Sheila and Nanci - Around the World

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Opera Night ..........RIGOLETTO

A few common questions we were asked over and over were:
1.  How do you pack for a trip like this?
2.  How do you plan for trip like this?

In our case, we purchased the open around the world tickets and did not fill in the destinations until months later when we bought tickets to see Rigoletto at the Sydney Opera house for November 4th.  Everything fell into place after that.

For the record, I am sick of my clothes and I think they are starting to smell.    There I said it!  They are clean, but they strike me as kinda strange....having attended catholic school for many years, I for one can wear the same thing over and over and over, but this is too much.  The cute skirts I packed...I hate now.  The lovely scarf...I left in the last hotel with a note.."left intentionally, please don't forward!"

Hence, you can imagine my relief when I was told, Sydney Opera go'ers are casual, because casual was all I could muster.

RIGOLETTO performed at the  SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE.....a dream come true for me.  Third row center seats, another moment in this journey where we both sat in disbelief.

Neither Nanci, nor I are opera aficionado’s, we both simply find the human voice can heal us, inspire us and rouse memories that are often restrained.  The performance was stupendous and in the end, we were the first on feet for the standing ovation that never came.  We kept standing and clapping but we felt so alone thinking surely, surely we are not ignorant, surely they felt that was a great performance too….then we realized, the Aussies don’t stand when they are happy with the performance, they stomp their feet….hence the thundering stomping.  The audience loved the performance too!


What a memorable night!

1 comment:

  1. but you are an opera fan...you just described perfectly what one of those guys really is....."we both simply find the human voice can heal us, inspire us and rouse memories that are often restrained." Couldn't be a better definition and it's yours!! Keep it coming. Joe

    ReplyDelete